Date:      Wed, 17 May 95 19:32:34 EST
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Enthusiasm boost: make world works on 386SX16 4Mb

Feeling down because your Pentium 90 complains about syntax errors in
the latest sysinstall?  Worried about your slow Internet connection?  Fooey!

Gain a special warmth from the knowledge that FreeBSD-current (as of
1995-05-09 20:57) compiles from scratch in a mere 6 days non-stop on
a 386SX16 with 4Mb ram, IDE disk, vnconfig'd swap space and NFS mounted
/usr/src and /usr/obj.  We're talking 140 hours, give or take a few.

Be happy to know that every type of swap-in/swap-out/page-in/page-out/vm-fault
code sequence was exercised thousands of times in a memory starved environment.

Be not indifferent to the fact that it still ran well enough while compiling
to allow a few vmstats and pstats and the occasional 'man vnconfig'.  Key
echo was fine, most of the time. :-)

2.0.5 is looking really solid to me!  No hangs, glitches or weird things, and
all my swap space stayed usable.  Prepare for pats on the back all round!

Stephen.

PS. Those of you with a trivia fixation can enjoy the following:
'make world' caused 60 million wdc0 interrupts and 6 million ed0 interrupts.