Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:43:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Subject:   Re: Guns, roses, and bike sheds

On 27-Mar-00 Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:03 AM -0500 2000/3/27, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>>                                                    Of all the people I have
>>  talked to, most were rather upset with our President's actions.
>
>       Most people were upset and disgusted, yes.  However, this is not
> to be interpreted to mean that they felt he should be removed from
> office.

I'm sorry that I was not clear.  The ones I mostly talked to were upset enough
to feel that he should have been removed.

>       It is not uncommon to have affairs, and it is not uncommon to lie
> about it when asked.  These things just mean that you're human
> (perhaps somewhat more fallible in some ways than others), but no
> more.
>
>       However, when someone put in this kind of position gets nuked by
> others in a  holier-than-thou manner, *that* is when most people in
> the US get seriously pissed off -- at the people who think they're
> morally entitled to start throwing stones.

The problem is that President is treated differently, and for a good reason.
He (or she) has a lot more power at their control than the average citizen.
With added power/authority comes added responsibility.  The same principle is
used for military officers, too.  Military officers are *expected* to perform
at a higher standard than the average citizen, and they expect this of
themselves.  Here's an example of why this is important.  At some point
during that whole mess, several cruise missiles were fired to counter
terrorists.  Immediately after it had been done, many people questioned
whether the reports of the terrorist activity in the area had been trumped up
to a la "Wag the Dog".  What I found most disturbing about this was not
whether or not those claims were true, but that people were having to consider
that as a possibility due to his previously established record.  The fact that
from what I could tell a good portion of citizens weren't sure they could
trust the President was the real problem for me and other people that I talked
to.

>       Of course, all of this is rather off the incredibly off-topic subject.  ;-)

Heh, true.  I guess next we can have a flame-war over bike sheds?  I think all
bike sheds should be green. :)