Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 19:08:26 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Fowles, Ken (Ken)** CTR **" <kfowles@lucent.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cirrus logic video card

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:47:06 -0600, Fowles, Ken (Ken)** CTR ** wrote:

>onboard cirrus logic video card. the model of the card is
>cl-gd5434. I am unable to get X going for him, i can make it go at minimal
>8bpp and 640x480, he has a high resolution 17" monitor. the reason that it
>is giving such lousy graphics at least as far as i can tell) is because it
>uses the svga server by default. if you look through the card list , the
>card in question is specified, but in the distributions there is no server
>for cirrus logic cards, i believe its a standard 64 bit 1 meg card. anyone
>have any experience with this?

I created a video memory requirements spreadsheet back when I
contracted at IBM in the Install group supporting video driver
installations.  At the time, I was in the market for a new video board,
and I wanted a board that would support 16.7 million colors so I could
have photographs as wallpaper (worked out REAL COOL). At the time, 4 MB
boards were pricey, so I bought a 2MB board. That meant I could use
800x600, which was cool by me.

>From the chart, you can see how limited your options are with the
built-in cirrus video.  I'd disable that (you can usually find a jumper
on the mo'board, if you look long enough) and install at least a 4MB
board these days.  But be careful, check the supported card list for
XFree86 before you buy.  I recently bought an STB Velocity 128 for my
daughter's computer and it's barely supported by XFree at this point.
I can only get 256 at 640x480 to work correctly. Of course, part of my
problem is the dinky 15 inch Compudyne monitor attached to it. Your
Mileage May Vary...

Hope this helps... hey cut your Grandma's grass for a few months and
buy a board 8o)