Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 00:23:02 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Fri, Sep 04, 1998 at 12:03:58AM +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:
> Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il> writes:
> > My suggestion is to change most of the mailing lists to a "can't post
> > for a week after you subscribe" mode. Anybody who is serious enough
> > about a subject will lurk for a while just to get a feel, anyway. We can
> > leave -questions, -newbies, -chat and -advocacy open. The latter two are
> > meant for this kind of drivel. We definetely don't want to discourage
> > newcomers by forcing them to wait a week for any help, so -questions and
> > -newbies must stay open. People there should expect many "stupid"
> > questions, that's why they are there helping.
>
> I second this suggestion.

The problem with this is the same as requiring subscriptions for
posting at all - a lot of us are subscribed through different accounts
than we post from (I, for instance, am subscribed through my
FreeBSD.ORG account except for the lists where I made a mistake), and
it is not very practical to have to post through those addresses.

I think a moderated list for architecture discussions is a better way
of handling this, and have thus volunteered to moderate one (I'd like
not to have to, but it seems like the only way to get a really good
list).

Eivind.