Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:42:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michiel Boland <boland@diva.nl>
To:        Scot Elliott <scot@london.virgin.net>
Cc:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aliased IPs

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Scot Elliott wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Deepwell Internet wrote:
> > Are there people running full production webserver off of one IP address?
> > Have you had any problems?
>
> There are, yes.  One very large ISP in the UK does this and their
> customers hate them.  Host-based vhosts are considered to be 'cheap' and
> off less value than IP based ones, by a lot of customers.

Some user education would be in order then. Ie. tell them about the
forthcoming Demise Of The Net because of IP numbers running out because
everyone needs their own address, etc.

Also, according to RIPE, and if memory serves me correctly, you cannot
request IP address space just to host virtual web sites (well, you can
request it but you will have to return it one day.)

I'm really not going to fill in a ripe-141 and waste yet another /24 just
so that all our customers can have their own ip address.

Cheers
Michiel

--
Michiel Boland <boland@diva.nl>