Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:59:52 +0100
From:      Tony Balazs <tony@rothstein.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Newbie installation problems (4.0-RELEASE)

I am having some difficulty installing a near-minimal FreeBSD on a test  =
PC at work and would greatly appreciate some help. This is my first  =
posting here.=20

The PC in question is a 166MHz Pentium with 64MB RAM and a single 6GB  =
HDD. I am trying an installation from a 2GB (too big?) DOS partition  =
(installation files in C:\FreeBSD\bin C:\FreeBSD\doc etc) and have  =
created one 2GB FreeBSD partition and one 2GB Linux partition for  =
possible future use.

 /, /var/, /usr/ and swap seems to be created OK automatically (but see  =
below). When I do the installation the following problems occur:=20

1. From what I can see on the screen, all the installation goes into /  =
by default, instead of the bulk going into /usr/.=20

2. When I subsequently boot into FreeBSD on the HDD partition, I an  =
unable to access the installation program and so if I want to try  =
putting more files is have to use the 2 boot floppies again.=20

3. Possibly as a result of 2. when I go back into the labeller, only  =
swap is listed; the other FreeBSD partitions are unmounted (maybe that's =
 right, I don't know). 4. If, having rebooted using the floppies I try =
to add more files to the  installation, I get a disk full error, =
presumably because everything is  being added to / and not to /usr/. I =
have tried this over and over, to no avail. I fear that after a few  =
more fdisks to re-start from scratch my DOS partition will be trashed! =
Perhaps someone can see what's going on.

     Thanks for any help.=20
     Tony.