Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:08:44 EST
From:      DrdeHaerne@aol.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make.conf, proxy and ports

hi,

I just set up a new system with FBSD 4.5 behind a proxy server/firewall and I'm having a real pain getting ports installed.

I followed logic and created /etc/make.conf with the following lines:

$ cat /etc/make.conf | grep _PROXY
FTP_PROXY=      10.100.10.100:1080
HTTP_PROXY=     10.100.10.100:3128

Those being the addresses of my proxies of course.

All other machines that use the proxies work fine - ftp, ssh, http, whatever I need it works. I'll admit though, all of those machines are windows and this is the first time I set up a fbsd machine behind the proxy.

Anyhow, even with the changes in the make.conf file, when I go to a port and run make, the machine still tries to make a direct connection (with fetch of course) instead of going through the proxy. I know this because I'm looking a tcp traffic logs while trying to install.

So why aren't the ports using the make.conf proxy setting? In past experiences it always read it fine - well just for the USA_RESIDENT option.

the make.conf on the machine in question only has the proxy lines (+usa resident and force register), and the proxy server is set up to accept connections from my new fbsd box.

Sorry for the long question, but I just wanted to be clear. any help would be really appreciated, thanks!