Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 12:05:32 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        bveis@ee.calpoly.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compiling KERNAL

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 09:31:17PM -0700, bveis@ee.calpoly.edu wrote:
> Well i hope someone has the time to take a look at
> this. Im fairly new with > BSD, but here's my prob.
>
> I am trying to build a new kernal in FreeBSD 3.1 to
> support my sound card (Yamaha OPL2 which from what i
> see is basicly a sb16).
>
> Question one is which device should i enter into the
> kernal on controller snd0...sbxvi0 or opl0?.

Try using pcm0 (comment out all the snd0 and *all* the sb* stuff).
This is what I use for my OPL2 card. Note the midi isn't supported
in the pcm0 driver.

> 2)when i tried to MAKEDEV snd0 in /dev/, it seems as
>   though it was made, but doesn't appear in the /dev/
>
> 3)when running config MYKERNAL1, i get a "did you
>   for get to make depend".

Maybe you did. The correct sequence is:

	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	/usr/sbin/config MYKERNAL1
	cd ../../compile/MYKERNAL1
	make depend
	make
	make install

> 4)Well simply the kernal doesn't compile because it
>   can't find vnode.h

It should be in /usr/src/sys/sys. If it isn't then you've not
installed the kernel sources. If it is, then you probably didn't
run ``make depend''.

HTH