Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 09:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'Vendor Specific' message on SEAGATE ST15230N 0168

Last night one of my machines started spitting out the message:

sd1(ncr1:1:0): Vendor Specific asc:80,0 Vendor Specific ASC field
	replaceable unit: 1
, retries: 2

(I've added a line break after 'field', and the number after 'retries'
varies.  Occasionally the second line reads ", FAILURE".)

The partition mounted from that disk was inaccessable, and I had
to re-boot to clear it up.  Can anyone on this list tell me what
it means and whether there's anything I can do to prevent it?

The disk is a Seagate ST15230N 0168.  The machine is running
FreeBSD 2.2.2.

Thanks,
-Pat