Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:56:30 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/78944: htdig depends on a very specific apache

Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Florian Hars wrote:
>

>>I tried to install the package, and it did indeed require this and
>>only this version of apache, although it doesn't even need any
>>apache at all.
>>This is a serious design error of the ports/packages system.
>

> No, this is an error in an individual port.  Please contact the
> maintainer to ask why the dependency is there.  If the maintainer
> does not reply, please file a PR about it.

Earlier in this thread it was indicated that the user did file a PR, and I
did respond. The user doesn't feel that the apache dependency is needed, I
(and long experience) disagree.

The user is free to install htdig without apache, or with a different style
of apache, as he sees fit.

Case closed,

Doug