Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:07:07 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <eugene@zhegan.in>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs mirrored pool dead after a disk death and reset

Hello.

Recently a disk died in one of my servers running 12.2
(12.2-RELEASE-p2). So.... it died, I got a bunch of dmesg errors saying
there's a bunch of i/o commands stuck, OS became partially livelocked (I
still could login, but barely could do anything) so.... considering this
is a mirrored pool, and "I have done it many times before, nothing could
be safer !" I sent a reset to the server via IPMI.

And it was quite discouraging finding this after a successful boot-up
from intact zroot (yeah, I've already tried to zpool import -F after an
export, so initially it was imported already, showing the same
devastating state):

[root@db0:~]# zpool import
pool: data
id: 15967028801499953224
state: FAULTED
status: One or more devices contains corrupted data.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
the '-f' flag.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
config:
datašššššššššššššššššš FAULTEDš corrupted data
9566965891719887395š FAULTEDš corrupted data
nvd0šššššššššššššššš ONLINE

# zpool import -F data
cannot import 'data': one or more devices is currently unavailable

Well, -yeah, I do have a replica, I didn't lose one bit of data, but
it's still a tragedy - to lose pool after one silly reset (and I have
done it literally a hundred times before on various servers and FreeBSD
versions).

So, a couple of questions:

- is it worth trying FreeBSD 13 to recover ? (just to get the experience
if it can be still recovered)

- is it because it's more dangerous with NVMes or would it also happen
on SSD/rotational drives ?

- would zpool checkpoint save me in this case ?

Thanks.

Eugene.