Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2005 07:02:19 -0700
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problem with boot0cfg on a twe?

> I looked in my archives (well, it's actually at gmane):
>
> I got this from Doug White:
>
>> This is a erroneous message. The actual problem is:
>>>
>>>    484 boot0cfg NAMI  "/dev/twed0"
>>>    484 boot0cfg RET   open -1 errno 1 Operation not permitted
>>>
>>> This is a known problem with certain MBR layouts. To work around this
>>> problem, set:
>>>
>>> sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
>>> then try your boot0cfg. There's a protection mechanism that sometimes gets
>>> confused by certain partition table layouts. Flag 16 disables that
>>> protection.  I don't recommend running this unless you are explicitly
>>> trying to updating something in a partition table-like area; its very easy
>>> to destroy your system with the flag set!
> Can you try this?

bingo!!!

    # sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
    kern.geom.debugflags: 0 -> 16
    # boot0cfg -B -d 1 -s 1 -v twed0
    #   flag     start chs   type       end chs       offset         size
    1   0x80      0:  1: 1   0xa5   1023:254:63           63     72292437

    version=1.0  drive=0x1  mask=0xf  ticks=182
    options=packet,update,nosetdrv
    default_selection=F1 (Slice 1)

now the remaining issue is how to install a boot which goes
to serial only if no crt/kbd installed.

randy