Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 07:34:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        rknebel@csrlink.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hi,
>Well I tried doing a clean install 0f 2.2.5 and I get through it fine. But
>when I try to install my xserver which is Accel X 3.1 I start to have problems.
>I can install it fine but when I start it up it crashes with the error message.
>Failed to set default font path
>Could not open default font 'fixed'
>I tried to install 2.2.2 again and everything worked fine.
>It seems to be a problem with2.2.5.
>Can anyone help?

This sounds like an XAccel specific problem.  XAccel expects Z
(compress) or uncompressed fonts, while Xfree has gone to gz (gzip)
compressed fonts.

Try uncompressing the new fonts.  I don't know what Xi's position on
this is (e.g. does 4.1 support gz fonts?) but I think they are not
doing anything for 3.1.  I could be incorrect however.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/