Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 21:39:59 -0400
From:      "Michael E. Mercer" <mmercer@ipass.net>
To:        wwwind@pub.sy.ln.cn
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Need Help

ZhangJiYu wrote:

> Hello:
>         I have some troubles in using Ports:
>         After login as root,cd into /usr/ports/graphics/xpm,and make
> install,
>     but system displays:
>         >>xpm-3.4k.tgr.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.

This is telling you the source code does not exist on your system.

>         >>Attempting to fetch from ftp://avahi.inria.fr/pub/xpm.
>         /usr/bin/fetch:avahi.inria.fr:Unknown host

Here it is telling you it is trying to get the source code from
avahi.inria.fr
The unknown host message says it can not find that host's address.
Do you have an internet connection when you typed make?
Otherwise, with no internet connection, the fetch command will always
fail.
Also if you have the cd collection, check to see if the source code is
supplied
in that, and if YES, copy it to /usr/ports/distfiles and type `make`
again from the
ports/graphics/xpm directory.