Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 21:30:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, pete@sms.fi, davidg@Root.COM, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> Well, maybe you should step back and take a closer look as to what some
> of our ``average FreeBSD users'' are doing with FreeBSD.  Believe it or
> not FreeBSD is becomeing very large in the ISP market segment, these
> people _must_ have security related bugs fixes in a rapid manner, and
> infact many of them have there own full time staff to make _sure_ they
> have these fixes in place.  That is a lot of resource that could be pulled
> into a cooperative effort to create this ``maintaninance team'', and these
> people tend to be very conservative about doing anything that could degrade
> there systems.

I think we (the project) are perhaps getting back into the grey zone
we were in for awhile when Karl Denninger was having all those
problems with FreeBSD and had our guys running in circles trying to
fix them.  When you're small, you can afford to blur the lines of
distinction a little and treat all users alike.  As we become more
successful, I think that a commercial enterprise will become
inevitable.  Why?  Several reasons:

	1. You can't expect volunteers to hop for you, and hopping is sometimes
	   required (the CERT advisories are a good example).

	2. The FreeBSD project has a duty to the free software world first
	   and the commercial world second.  Since it's not being supported
	   by the commercial world, that simply stands to reason and a lot of
	   people are only in it for the joy of it anyway.  This means that
	   if a lot of our time is subverted into doing support, we're doing
	   a disservice to all the other users - 10% of the users end up
	   taking 90% of the resources.

	3. The commercial interests *want* someone to be accountable for the
	   software.  Your own success at building and supporting systems
	   is prima facie evidence of this.

I'm not sure when or if that'll happen, mind you, but like I said - I
think it's an inevitable consequence of our increasing success.

					Jordan