Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:48:36 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

On Jan 29, 12:05pm, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

} The reason I'm interested in this (now tiresome) thread is that I'd much
} rather have to read
}
} 	/*
} 	 * Bail out if the time left to next transaction is less than
} 	 * the duration of the previous transaction.
} 	 */
} 	if (t % u - n % u < d % u) {
}
} than
}
} 	if (((t % u) - (n % u)) < (d % u)) {
}
} Giving folks the go-ahead to use parens as a form of documentation is
} misguided and will end in tears. MHO.

This is a fairly trivial example, but I find the second version slightly
easier to read at a glance.  I do think it's overly parenthesized, though.
I prefer

 	if ((t % u - n % u) < (d % u)) {

or

 	if ((t % u - n % u) < d % u) {