Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:49:42 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ACPI and serial console problem

Hi,

when booting default (1) in beastie menu I can see kernel messages on
serial console (-h in boot.config) up to
	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad10s1a

Afterwards I can only see device_printf messages like:
	capidev: CAPI device created
	fdc0: ready for input in output
	fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3
	ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range
	avmaic0: <AVM C4> port 0xa800-0xa87f mem 0xf7c00000-0xf7c0007f irq 18 at device 13.0 on pci0

when I happen to boot w/o ACPI (2 in beastie menu) I also get the
"normal" rc output to serial console in addition to device_printf:
	Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad10s1a
	Pre-seeding PRNG: kickstart.
	Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point kickstart.
	swapon: adding /dev/ad10s1b as swap device
	Starting file system checks:
	/dev/ad10s1a: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
	/dev/ad10s1a: clean, 88904 free (744 frags, 11020 blocks, 0.6% fragmentation)

Is this a bug or a feature or what am I doing wrong ?
I suspect this is a /dev/console problem ?

Just to further confuse you:

with ACPI I get my login prompt on ttyd1 but w/o ACPI it simply
seems to hang after the
	FreeBSD/amd64 (one.of.my.machines) (ttyd1)

And yes it's ttyd1 and not 0 which has confused me from the very first
day I got that machine.  board is an asus K8V SE Deluxe btw and it
says following upon boot:
	sio0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on acpi0
	sio0: type 16550A, console
	sio1: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
	sio1: port may not be enabled
	sio1 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on acpi0
	sio1: type 16550A

.me is totaly confused :(

PS: I have got more problems with that machine like reboot or halt -p
    not working (should they?)