Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 15:40:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        mbailey@gnu.ai.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i can help

Warner Losh wrote:

> : Well a rpc.lockd and rpc.statd would be helpful.... :)
>
> No current RFCs exist on these protocols, to the best of my knowledge.
> They are a Sun value added feature on top of NFS.  Neither one of them
> is described in detail in either of the Stevens books.  However, he
> does provide a pointer to Chapters 9, 10, 11 of [X/Open 1991] that
> supposedly provide details of the lock manager.

> However, I know from contacts that I have that used to maintain
> Solbourne's OS/MP that the lock protocol has changed several times,
> even in "mere" patches, and I've had these conversations since 1991,
> so I'm not sure how helpful this document will be in defining the
> current state of the art.

Has anyone considered the idea of simply sitting down an implementing
a FreeBSD specific NFS locking protocol?  That would at least
help out those people who are only running FreeBSD machines.
Probably even better would be to work with the NetBSD, BSDI, and
Linux (although I would rather not see the whole thing GPLed) groups
and implement something acceptable to all parties.  It would be
better than having nothing at all.  Properly implemented, it would
simply appear to a Sun lockd/statd machine that there was no file
locking available.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net