Date:      10 Jul 1997 09:48:34 +0200
From:      Volker Freiburg <Volker.Freiburg@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual PPro & Bt848

In the meantime, I tested the Crystal 3D and the Stealth 2000.
Might be of interest to some of you.  Both work with the
Hauppauge card using XFree3.3. Testbed was an old ASUS SP3G
motherboard and a PCchips M537 (don't beat me for the latter
;-).  While the ASUS works fine in full 768x576 the M537 locks
up quite fast even in single field 384x288 mode with little
other pci traffic.

Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net> writes:

> Also I discovered that in the
>past (before I shoved the cards around), the PCI network card and S3
>Virge card were sharing an interrupt. I am not sure if interrupts are even
>used in DMA on the PC.. I didn't think so, but I am not a PC programmer.

Interesting, does XFree make use of the video IRQ and what are
the benefits? By now, I always configured PCI video cards with no IRQ.

>Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com> writes:
>> As
>> Amancio's mentioned, this sounds like a MB chipset issue.  Since the
>> Windoze S/W works for you, there's evidently something that can be done,
>> but it might be a difficult find.  It's interesting though that all the
>> Pentium+ MBs don't see this particular problem.

As I mentioned above, there are some Pentium MB's which do not
work well. The one I tested was probably the worsest I could get :-(.

But if I understand right from all the information I have now, any
440FX based Dual PPro MB should do me, concerning my original question.

--
Regards, -Volker Freiburg-