Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:30:43 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/isa fd.c

In message <20011219090256.E97821@uriah.heep.sax.de> Joerg Wunsch writes:
: As Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > __i386__ is defined on both FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/pc98.  There's no
: > unique symbole for FreeBSD/i386, so that should be
: >
: > #if defined(__i386__) && !defined(PC98)
:
: But that wouldn't exclude any further (hypothetical) architecture
: using an IA32-class CPU.  I still think we should make our _MACHINE
: and MACHINE macros that are defined in <machine/param.h> work well
: enough for cpp conditionals.

I don't think we can fix them.  There's no pc98/include/param.h.
There's no pc98/include at all, but instead it uses the i386 ones.
But we could add the right goo there.

I don't think there will be another IA32 port ever.

However, we could define something like PCAT for FreeBSD/i386.  But
that also is unsatisfying.

I don't think that we can do the enumeration of all possible
architectures well enough to make things work like you'd like.

Warner