Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:06:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

In message <200004152356.e3FNup102274@cwsys.cwsent.com> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:
: With commit of tcsh, I'd like to raise another question.  Are there any
: plans to replace sh with bash.  Granted they're not 100% compatible,

What does this mean.  If it means that sh scripts won't run on BASH,
then I'd say the odds are very low.  tcsh runs all csh scripts as far
as I know.  No examples were held up in the last batch of shell
jihads.

: Another point to consider is that most people install who use a Bourne
: Shell the bash port, just like Csh users install the tcsh port.  I
: think fewer people would be inconvenienced by the replacement of sh
: with bash than by not doing so.
:
: Anyone care to comment?

My concerns would be compatibility with the existing system and size.
If it bloats the current /bin/sh to much larger than the 400k it has
become, then I'd be reluctant.

Warner