Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:44:28 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   interpreting netstat

	Poking around the system, I discovered the "m" option to
netstat and got this:

261 mbufs in use
74/17088 mbuf clusters in use (current/max)
0/4/4528 sfbufs in use (current/peak/max)
213 KBytes allocated to network
0 requests for sfbufs denied
0 requests for sfbufs delayed
0 requests for I/O initiated by sendfile
935 calls to protocol drain routines

	... which would be a lot more useful if I had a reference
standard.  Which I can't seen to find.
	This was taken on a system which has had minimal network
traffic for several hours.  How would I expect things to change as
load increased?  What are the warning signs the network is
approaching saturation?

			Robert "happy to just be curious" Huff