Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:49:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Verifying DMI Pool Data

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Greg Skouby wrote:

> When I attempt to boot the machine I get the Verifying DMI Pool Data
> mesage and it just sits there, it doesn't go any farther. However, I can
> stick a boot floppy in and it works just fine, I am able to boot off the
> hard drive. I posted to the list a couple of months ago but nobody
> answered my question. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this problem?

I have encountered the same problem on my system.  I found that if you
wait around 30 seconds to a minute after it says "Verifying DMI Pool
Data", then it'll boot up.  Do you by any chance have SCSI drives in your
system, and did you disable the primary IDE controller (or both the
primary and secondary controllers) in your BIOS setup?  I disabled the
primary on mine and left the secondary enabled, because I have all SCSI
except for my swap drive, which is IDE but on the secondary chain (I
didn't put it on the primary because I didn't want the machine trying to
boot from it).  However, I believe if you have done this as well, the
solution will be to re-enable your primary (and secondary, if you disabled
it) IDE controllers in your BIOS.  When I did that, the delay went away,
and my system would boot normally.