Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 01:37:07 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        WOLF <travis@interlog.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, WOLF wrote:
>
> >         I was wondering if FreeBSD supported IPX networking over modem?  If
> > so, what programs should I use to get dial-up to another computer?  If I use
> > IPX can I route requests from other computers on my LAN?
>
> Oh, Brian...
>
> It depends if ppp supports this.

I don't have access to anything that runs IPX or talks IPXCP :-(

Currently, the tun device only does IP.  It would be fairly easy to
fix this, but in order to stay compatible, I'd like to add a new
IOCTL to put it into ``give me headers'' mode.  I've mentioned this
a few times on -hackers, but nobody's taken the bait (even Julian E
side-stepped it ;).

As I say though, the real problem is that I don't have anything that
does IPX.  I've got one NT box here, and I've got a 2.5" disk with
Win95 on it gathering dust, so I guess I could eventually get it up &
running.....

It's more likely that pppd supports IPX - I've heard talk that it
does IPXCP, so assuming the FreeBSD kernel will do IPX through the
ppp device....

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;