Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:57:14 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        simon mendoza <simon_v_mendoza@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lists, newbies & support

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, simon mendoza wrote:

> Excuse me guys, I don't tend to criticize you position, it just
> happens that there is nothing like an "experienced Newbie" or a
> "newbies perspective". What is an "experienced Newbie"?, once you have
> learned and know how to do something you are not "newbie" anymore.
> Probably you know less than an expert but certainly know more than a
> "newbie".

  Well I guess I was thinking of myself there, experienced with unix, but
not FreeBSD's varient. But let's kill this one here and now before it
becomes one of those long pointless threads.

> Now if you want to establish levels of expertise just drop the word
> "newbie" and don't add adjectives to it. Use something more familiar
> like what they use at school: Newbie, sophmore, junior and experienced
> user. That should be fair, since you can catalogue things better and
> probably have a common ground for questioning. Now I don't see the
> problem if someone asks a simple question, but careful, one thing is a
> simple question that comes after a well documented and well reviewed
> operation of research and another very different (thing) is a simple
> question out of lazyness, just because it's easier to find someone to
> tell you what instead of finding it by yourself. That is why (I
> pressume) in this list is enphatically encouraged to all user to go
> first to all the sources of information (manuals, FAQs, Internet sites
> and so on) and once you have completed that "learning trip" than you
> will find that your simple question has got, if not an answer a level
> of expertise that I doubt a newbie can handle.

> Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to put off anyone's idea of how
> things should be handle, I am just trying to make some sense out of
> this topic and if my opinions can help I would surely be pleased.

  All opinions are welcome, that much I've seen here, but I think this
topic of "how much help do we give newbies" is going to be a thread that
will get kicked around for awhile. But that topic also is sitting on a
very fine line, I'm sure we all want to help people get started with
FreeBSD but at the same time we don't want to be hand holding.

  I guess what I was looking for is a polite way to get people to do the
research before they post a "how do I get X started" type question to
-questions.

  I've been lurking around too long, I feel it's time to try to help a
little when/if I can.

  So let's keep the opinions coming, with time we'll be able to come up
with a solution, while at the same time showing people new to unix and
or FreeBSD that we are there for them, and most have also gone through
the problems they are experiencing.

ltr