Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:14:44 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        <joel2a@yahoo.com>, "De la Cruz Lugo Eric" <eric@iteso.mx>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Skewed SA Mag article (was RE: Some ona knows about this?, opinions please! SAMA article.)

That article seems to be skewed, as far as I can see...

If you look at sidebar 2, they list the machines and OSes that they use
there.  Does anyone see FreeBSD among the list of what they use personally?
Are you really going to give something an honest chance if you don't work
with it personally?

They use RedHat for file servers because it runs Samba.  Well, as far as I
know, Samba can be run on Solaris as well (which they talk up earlier on in
that page for it's stability...)  And the mention of how the software RAID
for Linux is incredibly fast but not reliable.  Now folks, I'm not the
brightest bulb in the lamp, but I know full well that if anything on the
network needs to be reliable, it has to be the file server!  Would you ever
run anything that lacked the needed reliability only because bonnie or some
other benchmark told you it would run faster?  PLEASE.  They talk up FreeBSD
here because of Vinum (kudos to Greg).

There's also a slam on FreeBSD being harder to install than RedHat.  Umm...
no.  Not from what I've seen and I've been working with FreeBSD since
2.2.6... at that time, the various Linuxii installs were atrocious.

One last thing... who in their right mind is going to run that many
different OSes in a production environment?  Two versions of Solaris,
Windows 2000 and NT, RedHat (which can be an administration nightmare in and
of itself alone), and OpenBSD.  Six different platforms... talk about
insanity.

Additionally, "The operating systems were the latest version available from
a commercial distribution and were not recompiled (i.e., everything was
tested right out of the box)."  How many people in their right mind would
put a non-optimized, right out of the box system into a production
environment?  They claim this to be a real-world test.  I don't think so...
putting any system up, straight out of the box, would be an invitation to
get hacked.

In the "How to Determine Which Network Programming Architecture Is Being
Used" sidebar, they don't even have a reference to FreeBSD.  Now, I
wonder... was this just a token "Let's throw FreeBSD in for the name
recognition" sort of deal or what?  "It's a conspiracy..."

One last thing to point out... the publisher here is also in charge of
publishing the MSDN Magazine (a Microsoft rag).  Do you honestly think that
they would publish something showing that Microsoft was last in line?
Windows 2000 finishes third just in front of FreeBSD in one of the graphs,
and Windows runs neck and neck with Linux in the other one.

This is one of those things that you take with the whole shaker of salt, and
the shaker itself.

--- Andy