Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:59:51 -0600
From:      Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston@ssa.crane.navy.mil>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW with Fujitsu MAN3184M

Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote:
> Hello Marc,
>
> Thanks for the prompt answer! Let's see what we can find out.
>
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 02:31:15PM -0800, Marc D. Brooks wrote:
>> The Adaptec 2940UW is Single Ended. With Single Ended, there are a
>> number of things to consider when trying to go Ultra. It is possible
>> that even though the 2940UW initially negotiates for Ultra, the domain
>> validation forces it to the slower rate due to issues seen with the
>> communications.
>
> Any way to see those at the Linux administrator level?

at least with the "AIC-7899A U160/m" I am running you can see them by looking
at /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0, i.e.
less /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
or
cat /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0

I believe the "User: " line is what the card bios is set to.
I have no idea how/if the "Goal:" line can be modified.
I believe the "Curr:" is what is currently being used to communicate with the
device.

I set the card bios on my system to 66MB/s and the info below is what proc gives.
Target 0 Negotiation Settings
         User: 66.006MB/s transfers (33.003MHz DT, offset 127, 16bit)
         Goal: 66.006MB/s transfers (33.003MHz DT, offset 62, 16bit)
         Curr: 66.006MB/s transfers (33.003MHz DT, offset 62, 16bit)

>> The other thing to check is if the 2940UW BIOS has been forced to the
>> slower rate.
>
> The card is branded Siemens-Nixdorf, I don't see the usual Ctrl-A
> prompt. I've seen older SNI controllers, all settings were accessible
> from the main BIOS. So, I guess I can't check this.
>
> That said, when the driver is loaded, it states the USER setting of 40
> MB/s. Justin said that this is determined by EEPROM and /proc. I haven't
> set anything in /proc, so I guess we can rule out the BIOS setting
> limitation.

did he say what in proc could be used to set it? or was he just indicating
that is where to look to find what it is set to?

> The "when" part above is strange. Now I don't have the drive connected,
> aic7xxx is loaded, but I see neither kernel messages in log, nor
> /proc/aic7xxx.

should be /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/ I think.

--
Todd Denniston