Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:52:49 +0100
From:      Christian Damm <christian.damm@diewebmaster.at>
To:        Suporte Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server

Suporte Matik schrieb:
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 12:01, Christian Damm wrote:
>
>>with _1_ tuned mid class x86 box with plenty of ram and fast i/o running
>>freebsd and postfix, you could handle this for sure! - of course using
>>every useful and available anti-spam possibility offered by postfix and
>>rejecting as much as you can during the smtp session. i run one email
>>gateway like this for a isp (around your size) on one extremely tuned
>>std. x86 host (freebsd/postfix + all useful built-in antispam
>>"wizardry"/amavisd-new/clamd/vexira/gld (greylist daemon)/dspam...of
>>course no pop3/imap on this box - load is around 0.5 max.
>

> Hi
> you are running amavis + clamd + dspam on a normal PC for 30000 users?

yes - without real load...it all depends on tuning the box/environment.
amavisd/clamd/vexira (our second av scanner)/dspam dont get much mails
delivered because of our extremely strict postfix anti spam config
(mostily at the smtp level - BEFORE fully accepting the mail)...we block
around 90-95% of junk at the doors and let the other (resource
intensive) daemons/services do the final cleaning. also keep in mind
that we are talking about an inbound antispam/virus gateway - no
pop3/imap or stuff like that...drawback is: we cant integrate things
like full av/spam quarantine into this system - but on the other hand we
have an extremely low false positive rate (when it comes to
RBL`s/DUL`s/RHSBL`s etc. im real "picky") - and greylisting also helps
much (we use gld / http://www.gasmi.net/gld.html).

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm@diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria
phone: +43-732-381242, fax: +43-732-381242-22, isdn (leonardo):
+43-732-381242-33
homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office@diewebmaster.at