Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2022 20:20:10 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Jiawei Cai <cai@rcnp.osaka-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Suggestion on providing an install package of CERN ROOT

On 10/10/22 12:02, Pete Wright wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 03:46:03PM +0800, Jiawei Cai wrote:
>> Hello developers,
>>
>> I'm trying FreeBSD for a while, and I've tried some times to build CERN
>> ROOT from source(which I use frequently, see Building ROOT from source -
>> ROOT <https://root.cern/install/build_from_source/>; for more info), and all
>> failed, I've installed new version GCC, CMake and make from source to see
>> if the build can be completed.
> what are the errors you are running into?  how are you building the software?
>
> providing these details will help people help you so don't hesitate to provide
> them.

i actually had a few to poke around at this code and see what it'd take
to get it building.  i think the best place to start is porting
"SetUpLinux.cmake" to "SetUpBSD.cmake":
https://github.com/root-project/root/blob/master/cmake/modules/SetUpLinux.cmake

that's preventing anything from even starting to build on my end. i'd
put more effort into it but i don't have an immediate need to root on
BSD yet...

-pete

--
Pete Wright