Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 01:39:46 -0800
From:      jmacd@uclink.berkeley.edu (Joshua Peck Macdonald)
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ncr still fails in -current

I reported a notices several days ago that the PCI drivers were
totally fialing on my ncr 53c810 card.  Stephan (se@FreeBSD.org)
replied saying that using kernel config option PCI_REMAP would
make use of the older (working code).  I tried this, and still
it does not work, however, it now fails in another place during
startup.  I don't have the rest of the -current binaries installed
anymore, as I did the last time I was reporting this problem, so
maybe that is the problem now, I was using fairly current kernel
sources and kernel lkms though.  Now, instead of panicing while
probing the ncr device, it gets through to the filesystems check,
runs /etc/netstart, and all that, and where a normal boot would
begin "starting system logger", immediately after /etc/netstart,
it panics again, slightly different message, but about this same,
this is what I get.

fault virtual address 	= 0xefc2d400
fault code 		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8;0xf016f1f3
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0xb1
			= DPL 0, pres1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process		= 43 (cp)
interupt mask 		=
panic:	page fault
rebooting...

once again, P90 running on an OPTi chipset motherboard with an ncr
card.

-josh