Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:23:09 -0800
From:      Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

--ebEcofwtwHh0aNzo

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 05:22:44AM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> >> I see little benefit in a partition dedicated to /var.
> >
> >I do.  I like the fact that the / partition, with the critical system
> >files, is not written to each time a log entry is made
>
> Please read the message again.  Root (/) will still have its own
> parition.  The separate /var partition is the one we're suggesting to
> eliminate by consolidating it inside /usr.

The same applies to /usr; if you want to combine filesystems, combine
/ and /usr; /var is highly dynamic, whereas without too much trouble
/ and /usr could be made R/O, which would greatly simplify upgrades.

--
Alan Batie                   ______    www.rdrop.com/users/batie     Me
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle

--ebEcofwtwHh0aNzo