Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:10:10 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jerry Raynor <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall

Jerry Raynor wrote:

> I'm trying to set a firewall, when I run the ipfw commands from the
> command line no problem it works.  Now I've created rc.firewall to set
> this up but if I were to for example reboot, everything is closed by
> default

	There is an option in the kernel config to make the firewall open by
default. Purists will tell you that this is a bad thing, however for the
casual user it can be a lifesaver.

> like it doesn't even see the rc.firewall. I run the ipfw
> commands at the command line and I'm ok. In the rc.conf file I have
> firewall turned on and type set to simple, I'm guessing my
> syntax in rc.firewall is wrong?  Here it is:
>
> if [ "${firewall}" = "simple" ]; then

	Well, the option in rc.conf is firewall_type, so perhaps that is your
error? Also, do you have firewall_enable set to YES? Otherwise rc.network
won't even try to read your rc.firewall file.

HTH,

Doug