Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:37:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        ajpuyat@globe.com.ph
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: x-terminals

> I have a project coming up. Can anybody point me in the right direction. It
> has to deal with a freebsd client-server set-up. we have one server P3,
> 256mb, 9.1 scsi hdd. And connected to this server are 20 or more PC units
> without hard drives. Our principal wants to utilize the hdd-less computers
> by booting from a bootrom or floppy, getting the graphics information from
> the server. how do you set-up this kind of configuraion? what software
> should use (other than the OS). Is there a picobsd that can be made into a
> graphics terminal?

Since, apparently, PicoBSD was partly inspired by the diskless X-Terminal
stuff I did years ago, probably yes.

There's documentation in the handbook (not mine).

There's documentation in the mailing list archives (mine).

In a real basic sense, you NFS mount the server and run X in xdm broadcast
mode.  Then you have the server run xdm to offer login service.

The details are...  details.  I've even got it doing DHCP, although that
made the relatively clean system quite a bit uglier, since dhclient has
all sorts of codified inane expectations about the system.
--
... Joe