Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:32:32 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
Subject:   xl0 timeouts in -STABLE

I cvsupped a 3.1-STABLE box about 24 hours ago and rebuilt on the new
source.  Since then I've begun experiencing xl0 timeouts which appear to
mimic behavior reported under -CURRENT last September.  With no warning,
and with no unusual syslog activity, my xl0 interface will simply stop
working.  I did find a message in the archives with a patch made by Bill
Paul to address the issue, but given the age of the patch and the fact
that I also see reports of its failure to resolve the problem, I'm
reluctant to attempt to fit it into my 3.1-STABLE codebase.

A few of the particulars:

Apr 18 09:29:39 dazed /kernel: xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev
                0x00 int a irq 12 on pci0.10.0
Apr 18 09:29:39 dazed /kernel: xl0: Ethernet address: 00:60:08:ac:0a:a9
Apr 18 09:29:39 dazed /kernel: xl0: autoneg complete, link status good
                (half-duplex, 10Mbps)

(I am using a 3C509-TX)

$Id: if_xl.c,v 1.22.2.9 1999/04/16 01:57:05 ghelmer Exp $

(I see there has been modification to this driver since my previous cvsup)

The rest of the machine is unspectacular.  P200MMX on an Asus T2P4.
2940UW and a few drives. All the hardware has been running great without
event since some time circa 2.2.5-RELEASE.

Given the resemblance of my current problem with a recently reported
issue in -CURRENT, I felt it appropriate to approach the list before I
started fumbling around myself.

I've been unable to get a clear indication from the list archives if this
problem was solved or not in -CURRENT.

Thanks, as always.