Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 1995 09:05:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Struble <cstruble@singularity.bevc.blacksburg.va.us>
To:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with ports from 2.0.5R

On Wed, 14 Jun 1995, Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:

> Not everybody lives in the US :-). Could you be more specific about
> your problem? Which files were different? Files are not changing very
> often on CTAN, and your problem surprise me.

In particular, the fonts aren't all synced up. I downloaded the cm_mf fonts
from ftp.shsu.edu, and in the directory, greeku.mf was missing, which
caused problems. I also thing the latex distribution on ftp.shsu.edu is
older than the one in the UK archive.

Look in /tex-archive/fonts/cm/mf on the US archive and the UK archive.
You should notice that there are a number of fonts in the UK archive not
in the US archive. Since this is the place where the FreeBSD port pulls
its fonts, that's a bad thing.

To give you an idea of how slow the UK archive is, it took me over an
hour to download the fonts, which took me about 3 minutes from the US
archive. This is over the T1 line to my apartment.

There are definite inconsistencies in the CTAN archives, and it does
cause problems when building and installing a usable tex and latex port
to FreeBSD.
	See ya later,
		Craig
--
Craig Struble - Grad Student, Consultant, |
Student ACM Co-President, Virginia Tech   | The space reserved for more