Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:55:15 +0100
From:      Jonas =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=FClow?= <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4, Bug in IPFilter v3.4.20 (264), fastroute bug.

Hi,

I just found out what seems to be a bug in IPFilter 3.4.20 (and .21).

Using a machine with two NICs ep0 and ep1 and the filter rule:

@999 block in quick on ep1 to ep0:10.0.0.42 proto tcp from any to any
port = 80

Will cause a reboot on the first packet arrival on ep1 with destination
port 80.

I should mention that the rule above works in v3.4.17.

Any hints or suggestions to solve this? Is there any more information I
should mention about the problem?

Another interesting problem with fastroute is that the fastroute:ed
packet will get an incorrect IP-checksum if it is used together with a
PAT rules like:

map ep0 10.10.0.0/24 -> 10.0.0.1/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp
map ep0 10.10.0.0/24 -> 10.0.0.1/32 portmap tcp/udp 1025:65500
map ep0 10.10.0.0/24 -> 10.0.0.1/32

I thought fastroute:ed packets were sent directly to the outgoing
interface as shown in http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/ipfil-flow.html.
It seems like the NAT engine in some way corrupts fastroute:ed packets
anyway.

Has anyone else experienced problems similar to this? I have searched
the IPFilter mail archive briefly without finding any similar problems
so I hope it's not an FAQ item. :-)

regards,
        jonas