Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:43:11 -0300
From:      Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>
To:        Patrick McMunn <doctorwhoguy@gmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System lockups on 14-current with Plasma 5

On 7/3/23 18:20, Patrick McMunn wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced random freezes where
> everything except the mouse cursor becomes completely unresponsive.
>
> This began when I would come to my computer in the morning and find the
> screen black and the system in sleep mode. It would not wake up to
> keypresses or mouse movement. So I disabled power management in Plasma
> 5. This still happened after disabling power management, so I disabled
> the screensaver. That's when I would come to find my computer in the
> morning with the screen still on, but as soon as I would click on
> anything, everything but the cursor would freeze. At first, I thought it
> would happen only after being idle a long time. But then it began to
> happen while actively using the system after even a short time like less
> than an hour. It progressively became more frequent over a few days
> until it would happen immediately upon logging into Plasma 5.
>
> I originally installed 14-current onto a spare laptop hard drive that I
> installed on a secondary SATA port on my desktop just so I could test
> it. But after these issues occurred, I suspected a faulty hard drive and
> decided to install 14-current onto my main hard drive in a separate
> partition alongside Windows 10 and Gentoo. I went ahead and disabled
> sleep power management and the screensaver on the new installation. But
> I soon beganĀ  to experience random lockups during use.
>
> I installed Gnome 3, LXQT, and Cinnamon desktops to try as alternatives.
> Maybe I haven't tested enough, but I have yet to experience any lockups
> with these other desktop environments.
>
> I had previously run Plasma 5 from quarterly on 13.2-release without any
> lockups. So maybe it's an issue with Plasma 5 from the latest repo. It's
> hard to know since there apparently is no quarterly repo available for
> 14-current. So it's unclear whether the issue is with the latest Plasma
> 5 or some compatibility issue with Plasma 5 on 14-current that I did not
> experience on 13.2-release.

Hi,

I experienced some similar symptoms a while back on -current with KDE.

After some investigation I found that the system was panicking due to
some failed debug assertion triggered by the nvidia graphics driver. As
a result, the system would drop to the debugger, but was unable to
switch virtual terminals, so it appeared to hang. My solution was just
to start running the GENERIC-NODEBUG kernel instead.

Does the system respond to network pings after the lock-up occurs? If
not then perhaps you are experiencing this type of silent panic. You can
set the debug.debugger_on_panic sysctl value to 0, which should result
in an immediate reboot+kernel dump when such a panic occurs.

Hope it helps.

Mitchell