Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 19:07:21 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.doc.mk and ${PRINTER}

   > Now, sorry if this has been discussed before, but PRINTER is a
   > standard environment variable used on BSD systems (it's called LPDEST

   Ahhh... Yet another good reason to change it!  I've been wanting to
   rework bsd.doc.mk but have not had the time yet.  I plan to replace the
   PRINTER with FORMATS, referring to the output formats you wish to
   generate.  Are there any known environment variable clashes with that name?

Couldn't it be renamed to FREEBSD_something?  Prefixing is a common and
easy way to get rid of conflicts.  I have been spending an hour today to
sort this out.

   > Comments?  Will it be a huge headache to change this?

   Shouldn't be.

Compared to the trouble it causes it is a piece of cake, no matter how long
it takes :-)

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN