Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bdwrite: buffer is not busy

Ian Dowse writes:
 > In message <20020712182534.GA336@nagual.pp.ru>, "Andrey A. Chernov" writes:
 > >I see this panic constantly during last month or two, UP machine, no
 > >softupdates. Anybody else saw it too? Any ideas?
 >
 > The "buffer is not busy" panic is usually a secondary panic that
 > occurs while trying to sync the disks after a different panic.  If
 > possible, try to get the first panic message, or ideally a stack
 > trace.

Why do we dump after sync'ing fs's?  It seems like we should dump
first, then sync later.

Also, with interrupt threads in -current,  panic's are totally
bizzare.  Alphas can't dump because they get into a situation
where some system thread wakes up and can never go to sleep
again (like bufdaemon).  I think the whole set of panicstr
hacks need to be re-thought..

I'd like to do something that (as Julian says) puts a big stick in the
works just after we panic which allows only interrupt threads and
the panic'ing thread to run.  What's the best way to do this?
Should I add to the panicstr hacks, or is there a more elegent way
to achieve this?

Thanks,

Drew