Date:      03 Jan 2002 18:59:43 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Cherie & John Carri <cjcarri@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring AWE64 sound card in FreeBSD 4.4

On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 18:59, Cherie & John Carri wrote:
> Hello,
>   I first tried FreeBSD (4.2) this summer to turn an old PC into a server
> for a small intranet in my classroom, and have been so impressed with its
> stability and general goodness that I want to try it as a desktop OS. To
> that end, I now have FreeBSD 4.4 installed on another old PC, a 266 MHz
> Pentium II with an Intel PD440FX motherboard and 48MB of memory. This
> machine has a Creative Labs Soundblaster AWE64 sound card (ISA) installed.
> According to dmesg, FreeBSD knows about the card and there appear to be no
> conflicts. However I can't use the sound card because I don't know how to
> configure it.

If FreeBSD recognizes it and assigns a driver to it, you will see it
called either pcm0 or pcm1.  If it's pcm0, do:

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV snd0

If it's pcm1, do:

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV snd1

Then you should be set.

Now, if FreeBSD just sees it as a ISA card plugged into the system, but
doesn't assign it a pcm driver, you'll either need to do a kldload snd
or add:

device	pcm

to your kernel config, and recompile.  Once you have the pcm driver
loaded, you'll need to make your snd devices as described above.

Joe