Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:40:43 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        Gordon Zeigler <gzeigler@texasonline.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Question from a neophyte... Why isn't rc.local being read?

Make sure it's not commented out in rc

# Run rc.devfs if readable to customize devfs
#
if [ -r /etc/rc.devfs ]; then
        sh /etc/rc.devfs
fi

# Do traditional (but rather obsolete) rc.local file if it exists.  If you
# use this file and want to make it programmatic, source /etc/defaults/rc.conf
# in /etc/rc.local and add your custom variables to /etc/rc.conf, as
# shown below.  Please do not put local extensions into /etc/rc itself.
# Use /etc/rc.local
#
# ---- rc.local ----
#       if [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]; then
#               . /etc/defaults/rc.conf
#               source_rc_confs
#       elif [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]; then
#               . /etc/rc.conf
#       fi
#
#       ... additional startup conditionals ...
# ---- rc.local ----
#
if [ -r /etc/rc.local ]; then
        echo -n 'starting local daemons:'
        sh /etc/rc.local
        echo '.'
fi

On 21-Aug-00 Gordon Zeigler wrote:
> I've added startup commands to /etc/rc.local on my 3.4 Stable machine.
>
> /usr/local/etc/webmin/start     # Start webmin
> /usr/local/sbin/sshd            # Start open ssh
> /etc/init.d/apachectl start     # Start apache web server
>
> Yet, these are not starting at reboot...
>
> What am I missing? Probably something obvious, but it escapes me...

> On 8/21/00 at 9:53 AM Julian Elischer wrote:
>
>>since config has changed.. where do I set the flags on my debug port
>>(sio2?)
>>the sio man page has no hints..
>>it looks to me as it if is now controlled differently
>>unles I've made a mistake....
>>

>>julian

>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Unix Software Developer/Engineer
E-Mail: Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>