Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:09:47 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenModem failed?

> On occasion, I get the following errors:
>
> Nov 13 19:20:00 gateway ppp[201]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa3: Interrupt
> ed system call
> Nov 13 19:20:00 gateway ppp[201]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa3: Interrupt
> ed system call
> Nov 14 03:20:05 gateway ppp[201]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa3: Interrupt
> ed system call
> Nov 14 03:20:05 gateway ppp[201]: Error: OpenModem failed: /dev/cuaa3: Interrupt
> ed system call
>
> It's annoying, since my ppp link drops and then redials.  Is there a way to fix
> it?  It's not consistant when this happens.  I'm not in at 19:20 or 03:20, nor
> is anyone else, so there is not a load on the system.  The only time it happens
> during the day is when we are putting a strain on the dialup connection
> (multiple ftp sessions from different machines on the LAN.)
>
> gateway is acting as a router for a 5 machine LAN using aliasing.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.1 with the 971026 ppp sources from Brian.
>
> This has been happening for a while, but I had the chance to psot, so that is
> what I am doing.
>
> Patrick Gardella
>
> P.S.  A search of the archives for "OpenModem" failed.

I suspect these error messages are a red herring.  All they're
saying is that your redial timer is too small when ppp tries to
re-open the modem.

There are suggestions in the FAQ

  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html

as to why the line might hang up occasionally.  I'd suspect it's
either line noise or your ISP's doing it.
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;