Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:51:49 -0700
From:      Jeff Gibbons <jgibbons@protogate.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>, Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: signal 11 faq entry

Here's another possible <listitem> for Nik's list of "common causes":

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 06:55:52PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

> In the case of b) you will need to verify that it's not your hardware
> that's at fault.
>
> Common causes of this include:
>
>   1.  Hard disks running too hot.  Check the fans in your case.
>
>   2.  The processor running too hot.  This might be because you've
>       overclocked the processor (in which case, stop doing that).  Or
>       the fan on the processor might have died.
>
>   3.  Dodgy memory, and/or motherboards.  If you have multiple memory
>       SIMMS installed then pull one out and try again.  If everything
>       works now then you've got a bad SIMM.  If it fails again, pull
>       out another chip, and so on, until you identify the SIMM.
>
>       Some motherboards are also known to have problems if you fill
>       up all the memory banks.

    4.  Unclean or insufficient power to the motherboard.  If
	you have any unused I/O boards, hard disks, or CDROMs in
	your system, try temporarily removing them or disconnecting
	the power cable from them, to see if your power supply can
	manage a smaller load.  Or try another power supply,
	preferably one with a little more power (for instance, if
	your current power supply is rated at 250 Watts try one
	rated at 300 Watts).

Jeff
--
Jeff Gibbons        jgibbons@protogate.com