Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:09:29 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 4.4 FTP Release

The akamai hardware doesn't have to be very close.  Without disclosing
too many details, part of what they do is cluster groups of IP
address prefixes which are more-or-less equivilant in performance. Thesed
clustered address also would logically include one of their monitoring
systems used to measure performance from that part of the Internet
to various other parts (where people requesting content might be).

The nearer you are to the systems doing measurement, the better the
result you get.  Of course, if the alternatives are far way, the
degree of precsion required isn't all that high.

In the analysis that I did with some folks at work looking at this
technology, we concluded that you don't need the "right answer",
just one that's "close enough" when choosing amoung a set of delivery
platforms with the content the requestor want.  In fact, on many
networks, the main source of congestion is the list mile to the
user, or perhaps crossing peering points.  What you're really after
is scalable content delivery, and the bonus is serving up the content
from someplace that's not stupidly far away.

louie