Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:37:18 +0200
From:      Olli Hauer <ohauer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ports registering services in /etc/services and services_mkdb

Hi,

during an update to 8.3 I notice mergemaster from 8.3 is
building a database from /etc/services with services_mkdb.

However the ports framework does not provide an automation
to rebuild this database, even I haven't seen any port which
triggers a rebuild.

So my questions:
- should ports take care for rebuilding the database
- should we implement something like USERS/GROUPS for services in bsd.port.mk
- what are the consumers of /var/db/services.db and what is the impact of not rebuilding this database.

--
regards,
olli