Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:52:50 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
Subject:   Re: gmirror (was Re: It's time to bite the bullet and do a major upgrade...)

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 10:40, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:58, John Nielsen wrote:
> > It is possible to convert "regular" devices into gmirror members after
> > they have data on them, but unless you're extremely careful there's a
> > small risk of the gmirror metadata sector overlapping a data sector.
>
> OK, I see the warning in the gmirror(8) manpage that gmirror metadata
> overwrites the last sector of the provider.  Is that sector more likely, or
> less likely, to be in use than any other sector on a non-full disk? If it's
> equally or less likely the risk is extremely small - which I know is no
> consolation when it happens!

It's generally significantly less likely to even be available for use due to
device sizes not dividing evenly into the block sizes used by the filesystem,
etc.

Depending on what type of device you actually pass to gmirror as a consumer
(raw disk, slice, or partition), it should be possible to manually ensure
that there are a couple unused sectors at the end. It just depends on how
paranoid (or possibly other more reasonable terms) you are.