Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:20:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <monkey@crackula.com>, Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail library question/problem

In the last episode (Jun 12), Philip J. Koenig said:
> On 12 Jun 2002, at 10:38, Adam Weinberger boldly uttered:
> > sure it does. i use it.
> >
> > $ echo "|/usr/local/bin/spamassassin" > ~/.forward
> >
> > -Adam
>
> But you're not using spamd for sitewide use, which is what I'm trying
> to do. This is why spamass-milter is necessary. (according to the
> spamassassin docs, such as they are)
>
> In any case, someone else reported the same problem over in stable:
> > From: "Martin Matuska" <matuska@wu-wien.ac.at>
> >
> > make installworld does not install the libsm.a and libsmutil.a
> > libraries from the sendmail 8.12.3 package (only libmilter is
> > installed).
> >
> > They remain in /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsm and
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsmutil and are not installed to /usr/lib (but
> > some libmilter programs need them to build)

This has been fixed in FreeBSD 4.6.  libmilter and its headers are
installed; libsm is not required for building milters.

Quick rundown for what's needed to get spamass-milter running:

 /usr/lib/libmilter.a or .so
 /usr/include/libmilter/{mfapi,mfdef.h}.h
 autoconf & automake from ports

Go to savannah.gnu.org/projects/spamass-milt, check out the source from
CVS, and get the associated "fix 250k deadlock + better configure (try
#3)" patch (#349).  Apply the patch.  Then run ./autogen.sh, and make.
Copy the compiled spamass-milter to /usr/local/libexec, or wherever you
want.

Add

  INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',`S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock, F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl

To your sendmail .mc file and regenerate the .cf.   Run

  /usr/local/libexec/spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f

, restart sendmail, and you're done.  Make sure you also start
spamass-milter in rc.d someplace.  Once my patch gets integrated into
CVS, it'd be a no-brainer to convert this into a port.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com