Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 97 14:33:06 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        "Ben Black" <black@squid.gage.com>
Cc:        "Bradley Dunn" <bradley@dunn.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Allen	Hyer" <allenh@wtrt.net>, "Lee Crites" <adonai@jump.net>
Subject:   Re: de ethernet driver stomps SMC 10/100

Lee Crites wrote:
> I have a recently purchased SMC9332 10/100 card.
> Nothing on my box or docu states it is a "B" version.
> as soon as I started using de0, the link light on
> the WebRamp for this box goes out.

Same here. There is no indication anywhere in my card's packaging or
documentation that the card has a "new" chipset. The card itself has "REV
A" hot-stamped on it, while the main DEC chip on it says "21140-AC" and
there's a sticker on the card that says "Made in USA [B]". The "21140-AC"
seems fairly definitive (i.e. more than simply 21140). Can anyone offer
comparison to another working or non-working card?

Being curious, and comfortable with a "bash on it with a hammer until it
works" approach, I used an old NE2000 compatible card and the 2.1.6 boot
floppy to ftp the binaries and kernel source upgrades to 2.1.6-Release. A
new custom kernel (essentials + ahc0 + de0) compiled cleanly for me.

The card/driver behavior "improved" in that the de0 driver does not
disable the card as it did with 2.1.5-R. The Link and T/R lights on the
card continue to blink festively. However, de0 now "enables" a
non-existent BNC/AUI port (and no manner of "ifconfig de0 link" options
would enable the actual UTP port).

I guess that doesn't prove anything except that 2.1.6-R doesn't like my
hardware any more than 2.1.5-R does. Still, the difference in behavior is
encouraging. Anyone try this card with 2.1.6.1 or 2.2 yet?

Greg Barniskis                   gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI