Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:06:52 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "R Joseph Wright" <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Just got my DSL today...AARGH!!

something else that may help:
my isp provides me a static ip, yet if i try to config it as static, it
doesn't work. i have to set it up as DHCP and it works like a champ, giving
me the same ip every time. one of their employees explained it's operation
to me once. it just didn't make sense to me WHY they do it that way. try
setting your nic in rc.conf to "DHCP" instead of inet xxx.xxx..  netmask
xxx.xxx...." it's worth a shot.
-Otter
p.s. my isp is telocity