Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:52:02 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Aaron Shaw <aaron@ryker.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which IDE CDRW for burncd?

Aaron Shaw writes:
> I'm running 4.1.1-RELEASE and need a CDRW drive that will work with
> Soren's /usr/sbin/burncd program.  We tried a new Plextor and it
> was a dismal failure.  Suggestions?  Yamaha, HP?  Particular models?
>
> While I'm at it, how does one rip audio from music CDs using one
> of these IDE drives (in the format that burncd can write back)?  There
> are about 42 ways to do it with SCSI stuff but IDE is a mystery.

This weekend Best Buy advertised a Sony 12/8/32 for $150 after $80 of
rebates. Was there a few minutes after opening and snagged one. Forgot
what the letters are before and after, but the numbers in the middle of
the model number is 160.

Took far less time to figure out "burncd -f /dev/acd0c -e -s 12 data
4.2-RELEASE.iso fixate" than it took to install the $%^&@ Windows
software (which I waited until the next day to attempt). Installing the
Windows software was easier than running it.

Yup, it really did burn at 12x. Watched the device thruput with
systat -v, and inserted "time " in front of "burncd ..." and it
finished in just over 6-1/2 minutes. On Memorex 12 blanks which were
$0.13 each (qty 50) after rebates (who needs CD-RW when CD-R throw
aways are so cheap?)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net